Frequency of Payments
You must establish regular pay periods.
Hourly employees must be paid at least once every two weeks or twice per month. Salaried employees must be paid at least monthly.
Manner of Payments
You may pay your employees by cash, check, or direct deposit. If the employee consents, you may pay them by prepaid payroll card.
Payment Upon Separation
If an employee leaves your company for any reason, you must pay them by the next regularly scheduled payday.
You may only make a deduction from an employee’s paycheck if
- required or authorized by law, or
- the employee gives written consent.
Uniforms & Other Required Equipment or Tools
Virginia does not have any laws about whether you can require an employee to purchase a uniform or equipment necessary for them to do their job.
Pre-Hire Medical, Physical, & Drug Tests
You cannot require an employee to pay for the cost of any pre-hire exams.
Notice of Wage Reduction
You must notify an employee of any change to their rate of pay before the change occurs.
If an employee requests it, you must provide them with a written state of
- their gross pay earned during any pay period, and
- the amount and purpose of any deductions.
For each employee, you must keep the following records:
- full legal name;
- social security number;
- state(s) or country (countries) in which the employee’s work is performed;
- date of hire, rehire, or return to work;
- date when work ended and the reason;
- scheduled hours;
- wages earned in any week by a part-time employee;
- time lost and the reason;
- total wages in each pay period;
- total wages for each quarter, with separate amounts for cash wages (including tips and severance pay) and the cash value of other payment;
- any special payments (annual bonuses, gifts, prizes, etc.), showing separately cash payments, cash value of other payments, and the reason for each payment;
- amounts paid as advancement, allowance, or reimbursement for traveling or other business expenses and the dates and amounts of each payment; and
- the location in which the work was performed and the dates any service was performed outside the US.
Virginia does not require you to post payroll-related notices.
Please sign in to leave a comment.