Registering for North Dakota Payroll Tax Account Numbers
North Dakota requires employers to register with the Office of the State Tax Commissioner and Job Service.
Office of State Tax Commissioner Identification Number
- Register online
- Format: 11 digits (99999999999)
- To find an existing account number, call: (701) 328-1248
Job Service Account Number
- To find an existing account number, call: (701) 328-2814
North Dakota Payroll Taxes
Payroll Tax Rates
Job Service will assign your unemployment insurance tax rate. New employers generally have an initial rate of 1.21%.
Payroll Tax Deposit Schedules
All unemployment taxes are deposited quarterly.
The Office of the State Tax Commissioner will assign your withholding deposit schedule based on your annual accumulated withholding. If you accumulated:
- less than $500 in withholding, you’ll deposit annually;
- $500 or more in withholding, you’ll deposit quarterly.