Registering for Rhode Island Payroll Tax Account Numbers
Rhode Island requires employers to register with the Division of Taxation and Employer Tax Section.
Division of Taxation Taxpayer Identification Number
- Same as your FEIN
- Format: 9 digits (99-9999999)
- To find an existing account number, call: (401) 574-8829
Employer Tax Section Employer Account Number
- Register online
- Format: 10 digits (9999999999)
- To find an existing account number, call: (401) 574-8700
Rhode Island Payroll Taxes
Payroll Tax Rates
The Department of Labor & Training will assign your unemployment insurance tax rate. New employers generally have an initial rate of 2.27%. There is a fixed Job Development Fund rate of 0.21% and a Temporary Disability Insurance rate of 1.21% for all employers.
Payroll Tax Deposit Schedules
All unemployment taxes are deposited quarterly. The Division of Taxation will assign your withholding tax schedule based on your average accumulated monthly withholdings. If you accumulated:
- less than $50 in withholdings, you’ll deposit quarterly;
- $50 to $600 in withholdings, you’ll deposit monthly;
- $600 to $23,999 in withholdings, you’ll deposit quarter-monthly;
- $24,000 or more in withholdings, you’ll deposit daily.