Registering for New Jersey Payroll Tax Account Numbers
New Jersey requires employers to register with the Department of Treasury, Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services.
Federal Employer Identification Number & Suffix Number
- Register online
- Format: 12 digits – generally your FEIN and a 3-digit suffix number (999999999000)
- To find an existing account number, call: (609) 292-9292
New Jersey Payroll Taxes
Payroll Tax Rates
The Department of Labor will assign your unemployment insurance tax rate. New employers generally have an initial rate of 2.68525%.
You will be assigned a Workforce Development/Supplemental Workforce Funds rate. New employers will generally have an initial rate of 0.1175%. You will also be assigned a Temporary Disability Insurance rate. New employers generally have an initial rate of 0.5%.
Payroll Tax Deposit Schedules
All unemployment taxes are deposited quarterly.
The Department of Treasury will assign your withholding deposit schedule. If you accumulated:
- less than $500 in withholding in each of the first two months in a quarter, you’ll deposit quarterly;
- $500 or more in withholding in a month, you’ll deposit monthly;
- $10,000 or more in withholding in the prior year, you’ll deposit weekly.